Brief & Objectives
The Xbox One launch in Q4 2013 was the most hyped and highly anticipated launch of the console to date. It also coincided with the launch of the PS4, so competition for the lead spot was intense. TED won a competitive pitch to deliver the central piece of activity in the UK: A 16 day deeply immersive piece of experiential, that allowed the most ferociously passionate gamers, press, celebrities and influencers to play the console before launch – whilst creating content and building huge standout fame for the launch.
- Make Xbox One the most famous launch in history
- Deliver a truly immersive first to play experience that wows the most fastidious of fans and critical of press
- Produce an experiential platform that can be used as a foundation for all communications, trials, press, celebrities, influencers and retail partners
- Ensure Xbox authenticity and key messaging at all times
- Guarantee success and coverage
TED created, planned and orchestrated a 3 week experience in the heart of London where avid gamers could apply to be one of the first people in the UK to play the Xbox One. A 20,000 sq ft Shoreditch warehouse was dressed and re-imagined for the event, transforming into a mecca for the gaming community. TED brokered a partnership with IGN to drive awareness of the activity and push guests from their homepage to the TED online portal to register for the activation. TED distributed digital invites and multiple follow-up comms to guests to ensure minimal drop-offs and facilitating a full venue at all times.
The venue’s 2 floors were themed floor-to-ceiling in game and character graphics from 20+ titles being showcased. Bespoke floating shelves, with green trim LED lighting, gave the appearance that consoles were hanging in the air, making the product the hero of any space. The venue had a total of 50 previously unseen Xbox One consoles, which had been flown in the night before on a private jet from Seattle, accompanied by security guards, to ensure that nobody saw the product before launch.
As well as experiencing the new console and games, guests were treated to appearances from VIP’s, celebrities and influencers, which not only enhanced the event experience, but also created great content for social media, PR and press.
- 65k applications to attend event
- Over 125,097 individual trials
- Over 40k hours of deep product engagement
- 6 Million social media impressions
- 65% of attendees bought the product within 12 weeks
- £714 average spend of attendees [console + 5 games and £75 of accessories]
- On average each attendee recommended the product to 12 peers
- £6,206,088 generated by attendees and recommendations
- 7.5:1 Return on investment.
- 7 out of 10 games purchased post event were games trialed